Friday 9 March 2012

jody picoult, novelist

 I'm not finished withreading Canadian literature or Canlit as it used to be called. But these days when I turn to read a novel, I turn to the works of Jody Picoult, or Jody Picoo as her name is pronounced.    
     And there's dozens or nearly a dozen of her books to read.      
     Everyone of her books I've read so far are full of dysfunctional characters and dysfunctional families. One novel whose name I've forgot has one sister feeding off her younger sister's blood to go on living. The mother of these two daughters is a for now retired lawyer. The fatgher whose name I remember called Brian, is a firefighter in a small Rhode Island town. But his son Jeff  sets fires allover the place.
      The novel in fact all of the novels I've read by Picoult so far are told in the first person. Each main c haracter  then stops telling us the story while another character  weighs in. Not everybody likes Picoult's stories. "This is just soap operas for television," someone I recommended Picoult  to, said after leafing through the first thirty pages of a Picoult novel.                  
      It's probably true. Which maybe it's a good idea not to read too many  Picoult novels in a row. But for an old man who's waded through many of the so-called 'great novels' of the past by Thoman Mann, Leo Tolstoy and Doesteovsky, Jody Picoult's work will be just fine for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment