Tuesday 13 November 2012

In the Hospital- The Life of Jane continued

                                    In the Hospital


    Teresa had prepared Jane well for her next few days in the hospital.Not only had she slashed Jane's wrists, but she'd told her what to say when the police and the doctors showed up. A tall white coated doctor named Morrison came to visit Jane on the first day of her stay in the hospital.
      "What's your name?" he asked Jane as he picked up her chart and scanned it. "Oh right, Jane Sinclair," he said as he smiled down at her. He ran his left hand through his thick black hair and asked her "Do you do this often, Miss Sinclair?"
     "Only when I'm at my wit's end,doctor."
     "Which is when, if I may ask?"
     "When I'm pregnant with a man's baby. The man is a louse who ran away. So yes I wanted to die."
     "And the father? What's he doing now."
     "Who knows, somewhere in America, I guess."
     "He's an American is he? What part of America  is he living in?
      "I don't know and I couldn't care less."
      "And will you try to kill yourself again, Miss Sinclair?"
       "If I have to bear this child again, yes I will."
       "So if we get rid of this unborn child , you'll get better. Is that it?'
       "It is," Jane said and suddenly was overcome by a flood of tears. "Help me doctor," she cried. "I just can't have this child." Jane knew the other young woman in the room could hear her cries. But she didn't care. "Please help me." Jane had never felt sadder lying in her hospital bed with bandaged wrists and in this huge city so far from home.
       Doctor Morrison shook his head and said in his northern English accent, "I'll try Miss Sinclair, I'll try."
      

No comments:

Post a Comment