Monday 5 January 2015

Global warming And Me - a short entry.

   Why I'm Not responsible For Global Warming - Or Climate Change.


     In the last few years no topic has been so discussed as the topic of climate change. Whatever newspaper I read or radio station I listen to, the topic of climate change pops up.
      There are people I admire like biologist David Suzuki, social critic Naomi Klein or environmentalist Bill McKibben who warn us constantly that if we don't cut back our emissions of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and methane, in few years the earth's temperature will soar and this would lead to global disaster.
     Whenever I'm confronted by these predictions and other similar ones I always reply, "Sorry, not guilty."
      First off, 20 per cent of the above gases are spewed out by the car, buses, trucks and planes. I haven't driven a car in years and I can't afford to drive one now.
     Then another 20 per cent of global warming comes  from producing meat, chicken, cheese, eggs and butter. I gave up eating meat and chicken years ago. Once in a while I'll spread butter on bread I'm scarfing down. Yet that doesn't happen often.  The noodles I love are bathed in egg. Yet that's the only time I swallow egg-related products. I rarely if at all eat cheese. And when someone asked me if I eat chicken, I replied, "Chicken sucks."
     Of course all my carbon free eating habits go out of the window come Christmas time and New Years. Yet after that I revert to normal eating habits and don't touch meat, chicken, butter and cheese for another year.
      Of course the other sixty per cent of global warming comes from burning the filthy fuel called 'coal.' If B.C. Hydro  burns coal to produce electricity there's nothing I can do about that. I hope that this doesn't happen but maybe it does.
     In short I've been an environmentalist or green before I ever knew those concepts existed. I will continue to admire David Suzuki, Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben and countless other environmentalists. Yet I don't  have to read their books or listen to them any more.
    I just hope that millions of other people will listen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment