Saturday 3 September 2016

Exits and Entrances - A Journey Through Many Landscapes by Dave Jaffe: Chapter Eight- Part Five.

    Chapter Eight - Part Five


   In January 1988 I became officially handicapped. I was overjoyed at this. My monthly cheque from the government went up $100 a month. Yet this new status also entitled me to a bus pass and a wide range of benefits. Dave Barrett, as N.D.P. premier and his Minister of Human Resources Norm Levi had brought in this handicapped allowance in 1972.
    I was so happy to hear this news from my financial aid worker that I thought, I must phone my dad and tell him. Then I realized that my father was dead. Still, as the 1980's ended, I'd moved up the financial ladder a bit. And that small bit made a hell of a difference in my life.
     Yet health problems hit me again just before the 1980's ended.
    
     



No comments:

Post a Comment