Thursday 27 October 2016

Ten Months As A Teacher by Dave Jaffe - Part Six

             Ten Months as A Teacher - Part Six by Dave Jaffe


    My teaching days in high schools were definitely over but what lay ahead for me? Here I was an ill at ease 28 year old who didn't belong as a teacher in a classroom or maybe anywhere else. What was I going to do for the rest of my life? Suddenly the answer popped up.
     In July or August 1970 I wrote a story on a cinema chain in Canada after a group of  yippies protested against the high prices of tickets that were charged for viewing the movie 'Woodstock'. I sent the story to 'The 'Georgia Straight'. The Straight printed the story. "You could be a writer," my dad told me. I was staying with my father as I searched for another job.
       About five years later that's what I was. I wrote for small papers criticizing powerful men and standing up for the underdog. I was now launched on a sometimes paid career. Goodbye teaching in classrooms. Hello left wing propagandist! So ended my very brief career as a classroom teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment