Wednesday 14 March 2018

Ends and Odds: The Ravings of An Old Man by Dave Jaffe. Chapter Seven, Part Five.

   My Religious Odyssey. Part Five.




    The Canadian Memorial United Church contrasts strongly with the Quakers worship house. "This church is a magnet church," a worshipper at the United Church says. "It draws people from all across Metro Vancouver." She herself comes from New Westminster. The budget of the Quaker church stands at about $30,000 a year. The Canadian Memorial Church's budget hit $800,000 in 2017. "Running this church costs lots of money," says one of its main ministers.
     I have returned to the Quakers after a three year absence. Yet now when I tire of the Quaker silences and need to hear sermons and a choir, I head off to Canadian Memorial. Here too, I have found happiness and a place to worship.
    My religious journey has now I think come to an end. I have left the Jewish religion and most political involvements. When people now ask me what I did in my adult life I usually reply, "I lived on welfare, did telemarketing and was active in the anti-poverty movement. I've also changed my religion and my life a number of times."
   And I usually add, "It was all good."




        

No comments:

Post a Comment