Tuesday 19 March 2019

The Films That Have No Smokers In Them: The Movies of Nicole Holofcener by Dave Jaffe

   The Movies of Nicole Holofcener: Part One.




    Nicole Holofcener has become one of my favourite movie directors. Holofcener is in her late fifties, lives in southern California and sets some of her films in New York City. "She's a bit like Woody Allen," some people say about her films. I don't think so, though she knows Allen very well. After all, her mother's second husband was Charles H.Joffe who produced dozens of Allen's movies.
      Hiolofcener's one of my favourite directors because so far in all the films I've seen that she scripted and directed, nobody smokes tobacco. People drink a bit in her flicks and in one of her films, namely 'Walking and Talking', two people smoke pot together. Sometimes they drink alcohol. yet they don't smoke cigarettes.
   Now Holofcener may or may not be as great a director as say Orson Welles, Francois Truffaut, Martin Scorsese, Atom Egoyan, Lena Wertmuller or even Woody Allen. Yet in nearly all the films I've seen people smoke cigarettes. And smoking is dangerous. Every year 15,000 Canadians die from smoking. Smokers have strokes, or get cancer or their hearts just stop ticking. So they die often in their sixties or even earlier.
     "Cigarettes are dangerous," one of my previous doctors told me. "Stay away from them."  Holfcener's characters do.
     That doesn't make Holfcener a great director for some critics. Her films are mostly about women interacting in families or friendships and sometimes they hate each other or hurt each other. "There's no story line," one woman told me after seeing the film 'Please Give'. This may be true but the interactions that women have are the story. Still, whatever the flaws or lack of action in this woman's films, her flicks don't show glamorous film stars smoking. That can turn young people onto this most dangerous activity.
    I like this woman's work. Her films aren't violent, bloody or physically brutal. People hurt each other but mostly through words. Holofcener's main star Catherine Keener never lights up a cigarette in any of the films I've seen her in. For that, I thank them both. And I also than Ariel Levy a writer for 'The New Yorker' who turned me on to this woman' work. Holofcener is I believe an advocate of not smoking. Her films are anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment