Wednesday 7 August 2019

Andy Warhol Kept Me Drawing: Part Three by Dave Jaffe.

Andy Warhol Kept Me Drawing: Part Three.




    The more I read about Andy Warhol in his biography by Victor Bockris the less I liked him.  And even when he passed away in 1987 I was sorry but hardly overwhelmed by grief..
     Yet a few weeks ago I was on the point of giving up all drawing and painting. Then I came across
a book on Warhol by Trewin Copplestsone and I was impressed. I have now taken up some of Warhol's art style and I realize how important he was.
     His style is easy to copy. I simply find a photo, change the photo a bit and then draw the changed photo on paper three times or more. Then I lightly draw an abstract painting over the photos. As Andy Warhol might say about my finished work, "Wow" or "It's great." Or more likely he might exclaim, "I can do a lot better than that."
     For Warhol was a brilliant artist. I have only a tiny fraction of his talent. My art work is competent but no more than that. Even so, his work has inspired me and kept me drawing. So I'm grateful to Andy Warhol no matter what he was like as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment